Thursday 6 October 2011

Fish in Aquaculture

 
I think it is a good thing, to spend time researching the areas of a project, which I know the least about.  With me and Aquaponics, that has got to be Fish.  So I came here to Milemead Fisheries, which is situated in the tranquil Lumburn valley, close to a small hamlet, called Mill Hill, near Tavistock, in Devon.

The owner very kindly let me wonder about, taking photos, so I promised him in return I would include a link to his website, so here it is:


It is a really marvelous place.  I could sum it up by saying lots of lakes and trees.  But trying not to get distracted by the plant life; I endeavoured to learn about how fish is produced in Aquaculture systems, like this one.
Of course Aquaculture systems need to be constantly replenished with fresh water, to stop a build up of ammonia, which is contained in fish urine.  A build up of this chemical would be very detrimental to the well-being of the fish.  Here; the huge lakes are fed by a sequence of fresh water springs, I was informed.  Originally I had assumed it to be fed by the near by river, but this method ensures that no agricultural chemicals will enter this delicate Eco-system.

I was also told that today was a bad day, if I wanted to see any fish coming up, close to the surface, because it was sunny.  Fish (I was told) feel more comfortable coming up to the surface in dull or overcast weather, since presumably there would be less chance of predators.
 
At this fishery; Anglers actually pitch up tents and stay here.  There were quite a few tents dotted about, all green and camouflaged.  It's like angler heaven here.

Well, seen Aquaculture in action.  Learnt quite allot today, but I feel that I still must research this topic allot more, so I can be clear in my mind; what I want to put in my ponds in my Aquaponics venture.  If that means visiting more lovely places like this; than I guess that can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment